Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission

Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 I see Sister Tantillo every day!


Mom and Dad!

That's way exciting you guys finished the front porch cover! You guys will definitely have to send me pictures sometime.

Was the green river pretty much as cold as it was last time? That's good dad got a double. Also good no one dump trucked. That was kinda scary last time. Did you guys make sure to go the Right way this time?

How'd BYU do?!?! I am so out of the loop here, I don't know anything of what's going on. Speaking of which, what have you guys heard about Obama, the US, and Syria and what Syria did? My teacher knew something because he was at a meeting with a bunch of basically billionaires and one was the owner of basically all the media or something and he had to kill a story because Obama is an idiot or something like that. My teacher who told us was Irmao Belchior. He's an amazing man with an amazing resume.

Yeah, Jon sent me an email and told me a bit about him and Shelem and their lives and jobs which was awesome. He's a good storyteller/writer.

Were you able to see Bon Bon??

Yes as a matter of fact I have! Believe it or not, I've actually had the blessing of seeing Sister Tantillo every day, multiple times a day since she's been here! I never thought I'd love seeing family so much but I guess being deprived from family and cut off except for weekly emails for 3 weeks really changed things a bit. I usually see Sister Tantillo during every meal and sometimes at devotionals or passing by on the sidewalk. Often times I'm even in her building and I'll drag my companion with me so we can go say hi to her! I've definitely loved having her here and she's been doing great. She's definitely progressing with the language and loving her district. Today I even had the opportunity to be in the same endowment session as her in the Provo Temple! That was way cool. I don't know if you can tell but I'm a bit excited to have her here. (Copied and pasted from an email to Grandma, she asked the same thing)

"Funny thing – the sister missionaries were leaving a message on my phone and she was thanking me for all I do, etc. and then she started to say something and stopped and then said, “I was about to say, ‘in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen,’ but I meant to just say good bye.”  Or something like that.  I guess missionaries really do pray a lot!!"

I did that except I was starting off a prayer with "em nome de Jes........Querido Pai Celestial" haha Elder Johnson laughed a bit.

"The Dear John story was funny!  Thanks for the list of Mormon Messages.  Dad says he’s actually watched them all.  He watches them most Sunday mornings if he doesn’t have to get to meetings.  He’s just awesome like that!  I thought your comments about “making” you do stuff was interesting.  I guess you must have slept by a missionary pod or something.  It’s amazing how quickly attitudes and perspectives can change in the MTC."

Great! Happy to hear it! They're good messages. About "making" me do stuff. Well you know how it is sometimes. I dunno I just wasn't particularly excited about it. I didn't yearn for the spirit as much as I should've when I was at home. I was content with my mediocre spirit mas aqui tudo que eu faço é buscar para o Espírito Santo e o vontade de Deus (but here all that I do is search for the Holy Ghost and the will of God).

What was the best part of your week? It's hard to pinpoint an exact best part. I loved going through the temple this morning. It was my best experience yet with going through the temple. Every week I've learned something new as I went through the temple but this week I feel like I learned more and in the end I felt the spirit more and was closer to God. I still love second Nephi 4. My Lord hath been my support, he hath led me through mine afflictions and preserved my on the waters of the great deep. Oh Lord, I have trusted in thee and I will trust in thee forever. For I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Lord wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin. It's good. I love it. I've read that section of scripture so much.

How do you say the name of the church in Portuguese?
Eu sou o misionario da Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Ultimas Dias. I'm a missionary from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints.

Did I spell Portuguese right? Yes

What have you learned about the cultural habits in Brazil? Don't make the okay sign. It's really bad. Also don't snap fingers on both hands and then hit your hands together. Also really bad. Also, try really hard not to punch people who are robbing you. Also make friends with the Drug Lords because they will protect you. Also don't eat a whole pizza then run across town to an important appointment.

What should you not do there that we find acceptable here? I talked about that in the previous question. That’s all I know for now.

Have you learned how Brazil was settled?  Any brief history?? Noo......I haven't..... I'm more worried about other things at the moment. Eu não tenho muito tempo para fazer qualquer coisa que eu quero. I dont have a lot of time to do whatever I want.

Were you able to get all the books you needed there? Yes. Got the small Pregar Meu Evangelho (preach my gospel in port.) which is awesome. So handy. Literally!

What books have you been reading? Umm O livro de Mórmon, the book of mormon, Pregar Meu Evangelho, Dads car book I finished last p-day.

What is your favorite part of the day? The spirit I feel. Then the lessons with Irmao Belchior. 

What do you do for physical activity? Jogar volleyball or basketball or soccer

Are you sleeping good at night? Sim! eu estou dormindo muito bem! Yes! Im sleeping very well!

How many are in your room? Existem seis em meu cuarto. There is 6 in my room.

oao Dad..that's crazy. I'm happy that you didn't break any bones or hit your head or anything. I'm thankful you didn't remove your garments either. I used your story after I read the dear elder to try and help 2 my roommates to wear their garments when working out. They said they felt like they were dishonoring them or something by wearing them working out and getting all sweaty...I tried but they still change which is their choice. I appreciate you and mom influencing me to remember to always wear mine. The occasion I'm thinking of is when I was working on the car and I didn't want to get grease on it which is definitely a lot better reason than some mere sweat but still that definitely wasn't a good enough reason. I did thank God that you were okay and I am praying that He keeps you and my whole family safe. I don't pray much for myself lately. The only reason I'd pray for myself is so I can help others come to the gospel and feel the love of the savior and the happiness that comes with the restored gospel

I ran out of time right now. My companion wants to leave. I wanted to talk about some more stuff. I'll try and get on later.

Lots o' love
Elder Horton

 
Random Thoughts. By: Elder Horton
When I get back I think I might look into Pharmaceutical Chemical Engineering. I was talking with someone here about that and it sounds pretty fun! Maybe write that down to remind me when I get back?? I dunno

"New Year's: look not behind thee" Mormon message was good

I'm going to start a list of temples I've been too when I get back. An excel sheet actually. Imagine that. Elder Horton. Using an excel sheet.

Almost obedient->almost get blessings

How can the Lord put people in your way if you don't plan and know what you're doing yourself?

"When you know it, DON'T DOUBT IT" -Irmao Luis Belchior

Also, repetition seems to shed a lot of truth, light, and understanding on places that otherwise would remain mystical. Like for example some Mormon messages I listen to a lot I keep finding new things to think about that shed light on life. And most importantly the temple. Every time I've been through the temple I've learned something amazing and new. It seems that the often trips to the temple have really opened my eyes to things that I might've never seen normally. I invite all worthy temple recommend holders to go to the temple at least once a month, preferable 2 times. Really preferable every day but that's a bit unfeasible.

That's it for now. Eu sei que a Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Ultimas Dias é verdadeiro. Eu sei que Joseph Smith foi um profeta. Eu sei que o Livro de Mórmon é a palvra de Deus e podemos crescer mais perto a Deus e Jesus Cristo por meio de lendo as paginas do Livro de Mórmon. Eu digo estas coisas em nome de Jesus Cristo amem.




 

Irmao James, or Tiago. James=Tiago in Portuguese
 
An Elder I met who is 7' 3" but I didn't ask if he played basketball :-)
 




No comments:

Post a Comment