Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission

Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ice fell from the sky!


1-20-14

Man if they saw my marker set up for my scriptures now, they would all be in too much awe to be able to say that I was cheating haha.  (in reference to my telling him about our stake scripture chase yesterday)

It's good to hear that Kenan is doing the right things and his best to be the best example.

Do you see many children on your mission? Yes I do, it was weird at first because in the MTC, for 6 weeks I went without seeing any kids except maybe one time. But here, there are a lot of kids.

Does your ward have lots of kids? More or less. It's not an immense amount but about normal I think.

What do the kids there like to do for fun? My first thought is fly kites. My second, is cut the lines of other kites. My 3rd thought is....slow coming. They just play with whatever they want.

How’s your week been? My weeks beeennn...alright. Started off pretty bad but it got better.

I know you’ll let us know about transfers – staying or going? I'm staying with Elder Cosme this transfer in our area. President wants me to help him if I can. I know I can't but maybe I can with God's help. I'm praying a lot for him and for me. It's really hard to focus on the people when you're so worried about your companion.

What have you studied this week that has been meaningful to you? Recently I was reading in the Book of Mormon in the book of 1 Nephi chapter 13 verses 20-28 where it talks about the bible and how it was perfect when it left the mouth of the Jew or when it was written but that when the great and abominable church got hold of it, many great and precious and clear truths were taken out. For this reason, the Book of Mormon is 100 percent necessary as is a living prophet. Another cool thing I was reading. I was reading in D+C section 1 verse 30 and it talked about the only true and living church on the earth. I'd already heard this but this time the word "living" struck me as interesting and I thought, "Why is our church living? How is a church living? What does it mean to be living?" if something is living, it's changing and it's always seeking improvement. Our church is the only true living church because we have a living prophet and apostles who talk with God as you talk with another person! And they receive revelation for us in our day. If the bible disappeared, every other church would disappear with it, but ours would still be standing. Even if the book of Mormon disappeared our church would still be here because we have a living prophet! Very cool, very important.

Did you make any new year’s resolutions for 2014?? Not..really no. Probably should've, I was busy thinking about other things like my companion around the time of new years

Dad had a good birthday? Was it a good "king" day? Eat out at a restaurant?

I had a thought that I wanted to share with you guys, and especially you dad. I was studying the teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith and I saw a picture of Jesus Christ in the Kirtland Temple with Joseph and Oliver and Joseph described Jesus as having hair that was whiter than pure snow and I thought "hm...so when a person is getting old and the hair starts to turn white, that just means that that person is becoming more like Christ!" So think about that when you think about your graying hairs, that you're just becoming like Christ.

Also there's a house of a less active here that fell recently because it was constructed not only on a hill but on sand as well! They should've read the book of Matthew chapter 7 better. They knew that it was going to fall and so they had time to take out everything before.

I ate chicken feet Saturday. I saw it and grabbed it and said "sister, is this chicken feet?" And she confirmed it and said it was good. I ate it and it tasted like chicken! It was actually pretty good, she was right. What you do to eat it is bite off the...toes? talons? and take off the meat in your mouth and then spit out the bones, it was good. A good experience.

Oh man, one of our investigators is just great. His name is Fransisco. He speaks English and he loves his music. Below you'll find a link to his music. 

Oh also! We have an awesome pesquisadora who already received an answer. She and Francisco (her almost husband) want to be married and baptized. They liked the church a Lot. Francisco even said that it was everything that he imagined that it should be! That was an awesome moment for me. Also when Delia said that she'd received an answer. And she has a sister who went to church as well, Mariana who also really liked the church and believes in the Book of Mormon to be true...but not necessarily in the right way. This is something that's difficult as a missionary. Because it's awesome that she believes it's true! But it's not because she received an answer, but just because to her, it's the word of God. The problem with this is that she might not recognize the need to be baptized again or the fact that there can only be one true church of Christ. We'll continue to work with them but I'm really excited to do so. I'm happy that we have one more week to help them! I feel a lot less pressure and I know they will feel less pressure too.

We also cut Ana Lúcia. Or better, she cut us. She wasn't really progressing and just said she didn't want more. I think she felt a lot of pressure. A lot of the pressure came from Elder Cosme and his GH tendencies.

We're also talking with another young man who read the whole bible and read the pamphlet on the restoration before we visited with him and so the first thing he asked, "What is this Book of Mormon that I see here" And so we just started off talking about the Book of Mormon. He read, liked it, but said that he didn't want to leave what was written in the bible. I got him to be willing to read another part and a bit more open. We'll go back and visit him again. If he was baptized he would be Very firm in the church. That's the thing sometimes, sometimes people are very firm in their beliefs but if you can manage to help them receive an answer and see the truth for themselves, já era (that's it). They'll just be the firmest member ever.

Love all of you,
Elder Horton
 
 
Zone picture during our last reunion together, President was there as well!

  I was feeling cool on top of the roof and so I had Elder Cosme take a picture,
he decided to continue taking pictures until I descended all the way as well

  Also here, you can see my new soccer jersey :)

And ice fell from the sky! Tuesday! It was very strange,
Elder Paulo said that he'd never seen that happen before in his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment